An Open Source Framework for Video and Image Processing
Video and Image Analytics for Marine Environments
In cooperation with NOAA’s Automated Image Analysis Strategic Initiative (AIASI), Kitware and it’s partners have developed VIAME, an open-source system for analysis of video and imagery for fisheries stock assessment and a variety of other applications. VIAME contains a number of different workflows for the generation of different object detectors, full frame classifiers, image mosaics, and methods for stereo measurement. Both a desktop and web version exists for deployments in different types of environments.
Installers and Documentation
- Desktop Software Installers: Downloadable software installers (pre-built binaries)
- Quick-Start Guide: Introductory user manual
- Tutorial Videos: Videos covering basic functionality
- Web Annotator and Data: Public online web annotator and training data
- Developer’s Manual: More comprehensive guide covering building from source and integration
- CVPR Training Data Release: Training and testing data released for the CVPR challenge (2018)
- Design Overview: Overview covering VIAME’s goals and design
- NOAA Data Overview: Overview of relevant NOAA collection platforms datasets
- Open Source basis fosters easy collaboration and transparent development for the widest possible community involvement.
- Multiple Baseline Algorithms allows users to train detector, classification, and size estimation models based on varying amounts of training data.
- Modular Dataflow Architecture enables straightforward integration of a wide variety of third party analytics, libraries and tools. The Kitware Video and Image Exploitation and Retrieval toolkit, which includes a pipelined image processing framework, baseline algorithms, and wrappers around algorithms from the broader computer vision community, allows user to connect C++, Python, and Matlab processing nodes into distributed pipelines.
- Github Project Page Project development
- VIAME Blog Announcements and News
- Mailing List VIAME Discussion
A tutorial covering VIAME will be held at the 2nd Workshop on Leveraging AI in Environmental Science on April 24th, 2020. For additional information and sign-up see https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/star/meeting_2020AIWorkshop_tutorials.php and...
VIAME was featured in three presentations at the bi-annual Ocean Sciences Meeting in San Diego, February 16 to February 21, 2020. For additional information visit https://blog.kitware.com/events/ocean-sciences-meeting/.
Due to the delays in rolling out the challenge data, we have extended the submission deadline from May 16 until May 23. The competition results will now be announced on May 30. For information about submissions, please see the previous blog post.