An Open Source Framework for Underwater Image Processing
Video and Image Analytics for a Marine Environment In cooperation with NOAA’s Automated Image Analysis Strategic Initiative (AIASI), Kitware has developed VIAME, an open-source system for analysis of underwater video and imagery for fisheries stock assessment. VIAME will enable rapid, low-cost integration of new algorithmic modules, datasets and workflows.
- Modular Dataflow Architecture enables straightforward integration of a wide variety of third party analytics, libraries and tools.
- Open Source basis fosters easy collaboration and transparent development for the widest possible community involvement.
- Based on KWIVER, the Kitware Video and Image Exploitation and Retrieval toolkit, which includes a pipelined image processing framework, baseline algorithms, and wrappers around algorithms from the broader computer vision community.
- VIAME Manual: Comprehensive guide covering build and run instructions for VIAME
- VIAME Overview: Overview covering VIAME’s goals and design
- NOAA Data Overview: Overview of relevant NOAA collection platforms datasets
- Github Project Page Project development
- VIAME Blog Announcements and News
- Mailing List VIAME Discussion
An initial development step for VIAME involves the integration of a limited number of existing algorithms for detection, tracking, classification to test the framework and identify gaps and development needs. To this end, the AIASI will host a VIAME software...
VIAME is a processing framework designed to integrate image and video processing algorithms in a flexible processing framework. The core infrastructure connecting different system components is currently supplied by the KWIVER library by the Vital algorithm framework...